Friday, November 12, 2010

First DFMC Meeting of the Year!

Wednesday night was the kick-off DMFC meeting for the 2011 team! I was so excited to get back to the meetings and see all my teammates I hadn't seen in far too long. I was also really excited to introduce Molly to everyone and to show her what I had been doing all last year - she had always picked me up from meetings, driven me to Crossroads nights, and long runs and EVEN to the Copley Marriott at 4:30am on Marathon Monday to meet up with my teammates! So I'm happy for her that now she gets to experience all of this with me and see why DFMC is so important to me and the other 549 team members.

Molly picked me up from work and we headed over to the Longwood Medical Center. We got there super early because we both were filming our video clips of "Why We Run" before the meeting. So we grabbed a bite to eat in the food court and headed over to the meeting in the Jimmy Fund Auditorium. We were greeted by all the DFMC staff members - including Jan, the director and Jack, our fabulous team trainer (and 1976 Boston Marathon WINNER). I introduced Molly to him and said, Molly, this is Jack - he WON the marathon before. And she responded by saying, "shut UP"! It was so funny - she couldn't believe it and Jack was so humble about his accomplishment. We are so fortunate to have such a fantastic, experienced coach though.

After mingling for a while with all the team members, Molly was finally called in for her video. She asked if I would come in with her for moral support AND because (and I didn't know this) she wanted to pull me into her video at the end! They made us put on navy blue DFMC team shirts and stand on a little piece of tape to position us in front of the camera (but not block the DFMC banner behind us). I stood next to the camera woman as Molly got situated in front of it. She talked about her mother, Risa's breast cancer, and how she had gotten a double mastectomy and what an inspiration and role model her mom was to her. I got teary just listening to her speak about Risa (who is like a second mom to me). Then at the end, she said, "and I'm also running with Dana-Farber this year because my roommate and friend, Amanda..." (grabbed me and pulled me into her video) "ran with DFMC last year, and I got to run heartbreak hills with her and it really inspired me to run the WHOLE marathon this year. So my goal is to be able to run up the hills with her again this year!" We hugged and said, "this is for you Risa! we love you!"  I did mine after Mollys and pulled her into the end as well. I felt MUCH more comfortable in front of the camera this year and didn't fumble my words like I did the last time. I was proud of myself!!!  Dana Finn, who shot the videos said she liked ours because they were original, so that was good. I can't wait to see how they turned out - and I will post mine as soon as its up... as long as it's not incredibly embarrassing, which I'm sure it will be ;)

Anyways, the meeting and shooting the video clips was great. I can't wait for the long group runs to start in December, and hopefully by the first one, my knee is better. I got x-rays on my right knee on Thusday and should know the results by this afternoon. Until it heals, no matter if its a meniscus or a stress fracture (the doctor thinks it might be the latter), I will have to rest and live vicariously through Molly as she starts her training. Wish me luck on the test results!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment